General

Know Your CBD: Methods of Ingestion

CBD ingestion Methods

If you are like most consumers with an interest in cannabis, you have seen ‘CBD products’ popping up everywhere in recent years.

CBD, a non-psychoactive chemical in cannabis, seems to generate new studies every day claiming a new usage. It can be difficult for consumers to make sense of the products they find advertised online and at their local dispensary, and even more difficult to decide which is right for them.

With CBD suddenly being touted in food products and cosmetics, in the form of different oils, crystals, e-liquids and teas, it’s no surprise many are confused by it all. To help make sense of so many options, we’ve created a guide to some of the most common CBD products available.

CBD-rich oil

How it’s made:

CBD-rich oil is a specific oil that contains CBD and doesn’t contain THC. CBD-rich oil is obtained via extraction made from cannabis flowers, most of the times from hemp strains rich in CBD. Then this extract can be mixed with hemp seed oil, olive oil or other types of oil to facilitate ingestion. These CBD-rich oil products are non-psychoactive.

NOTE: It is important to know the difference between CBD oil and Hemp seed oil.
Hemp seed oil is a hemp extract taken from the seeds of the plant. Industrial hemp is the only plant used for this type of hemp oil. The seeds of the hemp plant can be cold pressed, peeled or unpeeled (preferably cold), to create a delicious oil. There are no cannabinoids such as THC or CBD present in the oil since hemp seeds are not psychoactive. Hemp oil is legal in most countries and can be found in food markets, together with more common types of oil, like olive oil.

CBD methods of ingestion

How you use it:

CBD-rich oil can be consumed in many ways. Users looking for the strongest effect from the oil can take it directly by placing a drop on or under the tongue so the oil is absorbed through the mouth and digestive tract. Others who want to enjoy the experience of consumption may choose to add a drop of oil to cooking or baked goods or dissolve a drop in their smoothie or tea.

Hemp seed oil can be found in food markets, together with more common types of oil, like olive oil. Hemp seed oil is known for its great taste and for its high values of unsaturated fats, such as Omega 3 and Omega 6. It can be used in many different applications such as Lotions or soaps, a base for plastics, instead of petroleum and eco-friendly paints.

CBD Crystals

How they’re made:

After hemp oil is removed from the plant, it can be further refined to isolate only CBD. To isolate pure CBD crystals, extracted hemp oil is put through a ‘winterisation’ process- or slowly heated to remove fats and lipids. Then, a machine called a rotary evaporator is used to remove any remaining plant traces. The final product is decarboxylated through another meticulous heating process to activate the cannabinoids, making chemicals bioavailable for consumers.

CBD extraction from hemp

How you use it:

CBD crystals give consumers more versatility than oil. Like hemp oil, they can be added to foods, dissolved in drinks or swallowed whole, but unlike oil, crystals can also be ‘dabbed’  like cannabis concentrates (a manual vaporization method) made into an e-liquid, or sprinkled over a cigarette or joint.

Pros and cons:

Because crystals are more highly concentrated than other forms of CBD—up to 99.8% in some cases, they produce a more immediate effect than other methods of consuming it. On the downside, isolating only one cannabinoid removes a variety of terpenes from the final product.

CBD Tea

How it’s made:

CBD tea is made simply by drying the leaves and buds of CBD-rich hemp plants. Like other cannabinoids, CBD extracts from the plant and binds to fats during any heating process. To get the best effect the tea should be brewed for several minutes with some type of fat like milk, cream, or coconut oil. Without fat included in brewing, users will only get the benefits of antioxidants, fatty acids and the tea’s sweet, subtle flavor rather than active cannabinoids.

How to use it:

To get the full flavor of hemp tea, brew tea in hot water with milk, cream or coconut oil for 5 minutes or more. Dried hemp tea leaves can also be used as a replacement for loose rolling tobacco when making cigarettes or joints.

Pros and cons:

Because raw dried hemp leaves have not gone through processes to activate the chemicals they contain, the cannabinoids in hemp tea are less ‘bioavailable’, meaning the user will feel a much weaker overall effect compared to other methods.

CBD

Methods of ingestion are entirely up to the user’s preference. Different methods could have different effects on one person to another based on their personal taste.

For users looking for an easy use, we recommend our wide range of CBD e-liquids, which are available in different strengths to suit your needs. For consumers looking for the highest-impact product available, pure CBD crystals may be the best option. For those simply wanting to explore the use of CBD in their normal diet, hemp oil may have the best overall benefits. CBD tea is best suited for consumers who simply want a flavourful tea.

CBD E-Liquids

How it’s made:

CBD e-liquids are CBD products designed for use in e-cigarettes or vaporisers. Many manufacturers start with pure CBD crystals in order to precisely measure the CBD dosage, combining them with vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol. High-quality e-liquid producers (like Harmony!) also add terpenes, (aromatic compounds from the cannabis plant) back into the e-liquid at the end of the process to enhance flavour. Wonder what it tastes like? Our Cannabis Originals E-Liquids were created with Cannabis terpenes, it’s the key ingredient behind the success of our Cannabis E Liquids! It makes our OG Kush, Super Lemon Haze and Mango Kush flavours, the most authentic on the market.

CBD e-liquidsHow you use it:

CBD e-liquids can be used in place of nicotine e-liquids in any standard e-cigarette or portable vaporiser. Simply add the e-liquid to the tank of your vape and follow the device’s instructions to inhale the vapour. Prepared e-liquid cartridges are also available for e-cigarette models that don’t allow for manual refills.

Pros and cons:

E-cigarettes have become a huge trend. They are convenient and discreet when travelling and allow users to ‘vape’ in places where they were previously not allowed to smoke, like inside public buildings or at the office. Dosages in this form can vary, producers often offer different strengths of CBD e-liquids for different user preferences. This is the most affordable, direct and convenient option for a majority of consumers.

Related Posts

26 thoughts on “Know Your CBD: Methods of Ingestion

1. Thanks for publishing this awesome article. I’m a long time reader but I’ve
    never been compelled to leave a comment. I subscribed to your
    blog and shared this on my Facebook. Thanks again for a great post!

1. Clara says:

Hello Rick! Thank you so much, it is great to hear! 😀 We will keep on spreading the cannabis education for our great readers <3

2. Shams says:

Great stuff, thanks for sharing ! Was not aware that you could ingest cbd in so many different ways.
    Tried the hemp tea & it’s amazing, the flavour can get strong if infused too long but i find it perfect for night time, especially if CBD crystals are added :). I use coconut milk to dissolve the crystals first then add it to the tea, it’s absolutely delightful !

1. Clara says:

Hello Shams! Thank you so much for your great feedback – very much appreciated 🙂 At Harmony, coconut milk is also our favourite to mix with Hemp tea 😋 We hope to read you again soon <3

3. Bryan says:

I love the cbd crystals as they offer a lot of different options to ingest them. I also feel like a chemist when i do my mixes ahahah
    Ps: Thanks a lot Clara for the help with my order 🙂

1. Clara says:

Hello Bryan! Great to hear from you again! Thank you for your nice message, it was a pleasure helping you 🙂 Don’t hesitate to share your best chemist discovery with us 😀

4. Nathan Scott says:

Hi Clara
    I have just purchased the OG Kush Starter Kit (600mg) and can’t wait for it to arrive. I understand you are limited to what advice you can give, but purely as a ‘food supp’, how should I start off in times of number of ‘pulls’ on the vape?
    Also, could you kindly send me over the lab certs?

Thanks, Nathan

1. Clara says:

Hello Nathan! Thank you for your order 😀 We can’t wait for you to taste the Harmony’s experience 😀 I’ve sent you an email to answer all your requests! Have an amazing day!

5. graeme.bonney says:

Just received my OG Kush pen in the mail today. Really impressed with it and a great price for a decent kit. Also, as much as i appreciated the free cbd lolly, i wasn’t a fan of it lol! Not to my taste unfortunately!

1. Clara says:

Hello Graeme! Great to hear you enjoyed the Harmony experience – thank you for your good words 😀 The lollipops don’t contain any CBD or THC, it is really just cannabis flavoured candies! Have an amazing day

6. sandieastleysmith says:

Hi Clara, I am eagerly awaiting for my first order from you to arrive. I am hoping that CBD vape will help me to cope better with the pain that I suffer on a daily basis. Also that it will improve me poor sleep. I tried some CBD drops from a local market store which was some help but their prices were out of my bracket to try a decent %. So as I am almost out of theirs I have come on the web and found you. Your company looks bonafide and I love all of the info on your site. I shall let you know how I fare.
    Regards Sandie

1. Alana says:

Hey Sandy! Glad to hear you’ve placed an order, keep in mind our e-liquids are not intended for medical use and should not be used to cure or treat any ailment, illness or disease. Let us know what you think of your products, and anything you need, feel free to reach out!

7. Yes thanx for the v gud article about the differing ways to use CBC oil incl the tea ,must try this ,also we must push for this to be made totally legal ,as the cannabis oil helps my arthritis.great news

1. Alana says:

Hey Andrew! We love hearing from readers and will continue the good fight for hemp and hemp products!

8. Vince says:

Fantastic article – super informative and I love the hemp oil vs cbd oil comparison graphic. Thank you.

1. Magda says:

Hi Vince, thanks for the feedback! Yes, it makes it much clearer to understand 😀

9. Christopher Cleveland says:

So it is safe to vape this on a regular stick vape

1. Susie says:

Yes our product are for all vapes, if you can adjust the settings I’d recommend though starting with low temperatures and gradually go higher until you get the perfect flavour.

10. Sami says:

Kiitos tiedosta ja olen todella tyytyväinen tuotteista!! 😀😀😀

11. I’ll be real with you. I didn’t know that CBD oil is a non-psychoactive chemical. So thanks for that piece of information. I’ll definitely be looking at different uses for CBD in my own life. There are so many cool things to learn about nature!

1. Susie says:

So true! Happy to help. Thanks again for reaching out feel free to do it anytime 🙂

12. Nikki Plunkett says:

Hi ,I’m thinking of getting a cbd pen and oils ,for my insomnia and my aching muscles , I know you say it’s not for medical purpose but I need to try something that might help me as I’m tired or taking meds that don’t work .
    What can you recommend please

1. Alana says:

Hey Nikki, Our products contain CBD and it is important to understand that they are not medicine. Keep in mind that there is a lot of information on the internet today but as CBD is a relatively new compound there is still much research to be done. For more specific info we recommend you speak with your doctor!

13. sean says:

Thanks, Sean

1. Joe Marris says:

Hi Sean,

Thanks for supporting Harmony!

Our products contain CBD and it is important to understand that they are not medicine or food supplements. They don’t treat, diagnose or cure any disease, physical ailment or condition. With our CBD products, you can enjoy a great taste and, at the same time, be sure about what you are consuming thanks to our high-quality control standards.

Keep in mind that there is a lot of information on the internet today but as CBD is a relatively new compound there is still much research to be done. At the moment we cannot make any claims relating to our product but we recommend you do your own research when it comes to CBD.

Feel free to email us if you have any further questions 🙂

14. Extraordinary to hear you delighted in the Harmony experience – thank you for your great words The candies don’t contain any CBD or THC, it is extremely just cannabis seasoned confections!