General

Hemp Oil vs CBD Oil: The Need For Clarity

HEMP OIL

Confusion about the difference between hemp and cannabis oil has spiked recently due to the increase of cannabis-based products available on the market. Variety is a great thing considering every individual requires different concentrations and delivery methods. If you are new to cannabis vape oils or products, it can be difficult to know what is what.

In this article, we break down the differences between hemp oil (also known as hemp seed oil), cannabis oil and CBD vape oil.

Hemp and Cannabis: Whats the difference?

When trying to wrap your head around the differences between hemp and marijuana, it is essential, to begin with one simple fact. Both hemp and marijuana come from the same species of plant.

A Practical and Natural Taxonomy for Cannabis” published in 1976 explains:

“Both hemp varieties and marijuana varieties are of the same genus, Cannabis, and the same species, Cannabis sativa. Further, there are countless varieties that fall into further classifications within the species Cannabis Sativa.”

Their main difference, primarily in regards to oils, is in the number of cannabinoids (such as THC and CBD) that they contain.

There are close to four hundred natural compounds in both marijuana and hemp. Understanding the two most prevalent, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD), is the key to understanding the difference between hemp oil and cannabis oil. THC is the cannabinoid responsible for giving a high or ‘stoned’ feeling. CBD, on the other hand, is not psychotropic. Recently it has attracted a lot of attention from researchers, experts, and entrepreneurs.

CBD Harmony

Hemp Seed Oil

Hemp seed oil is an extract from the seeds of industrial hemp. Industrial hemp is the only plant used in crafting this type of hemp oil. Hemp seeds are cold pressed, peeled or unpeeled, to create a delicious nutty oil.

There are no cannabinoids, such as THC or CBD, present in hemp oil as the seeds are not psychoactive. Hemp oil is legal in most countries and found in food markets, together with more common types of oil, such as olive or coconut.

Hemp seed oil is known for its nutty taste and high levels of unsaturated fats, such as Omega 3 and Omega 6. It is used in many different applications from lotions to soaps, as a base for plastics instead of petroleum, and in eco-friendly paints.

Cannabis Oil

Cannabis oil is produced by extracting the resin of the female cannabis plant using a solvent. After the resin is dissolved in the solvent, it is evaporated leaving a concentrated extract behind. What is left is an extract with THC and/or CBD, that can be blended with hemp seed oil, olive or other types of carrier oils to facilitate ingestion. Cannabis vape oils contain varying levels of THC and can knock out even the most experienced of smokers.

CBD Oil

CBD-Rich Oil is a type of oil that contains CBD but does not contain THC.

CBD-Rich oil is extracted from cannabis flowers, mainly from CBD rich hemp strains. This extract can then be mixed with hemp seed oil, olive oil or other types of carrier oils to facilitate ingestion. CBD-Rich oil products are non-psychoactive and cannot be vaped, most often it is either added to food and drink or easily dropped under the tongue.

hemp oilCBD E-liquids

CBD e-liquids are made for vaporizers or electronic cigarettes. Usually, hemp extract or pure CBD is mixed with a classic e-liquid base called PG/VG. The e-liquids are then inserted into a cartridge or atomizer for an electronic cigarette. You may see the CBD vape oil used interchangeably with CBD e-liquids, so keep that in mind and don’t vape your regular CBD-rich oil unless you want a not so enjoyable experience.

Harmony CBD E liquids

Warning

Not all hemp and CBD products are the same. They can be potent and powerful products, but poorly manufactured hemp CBD products can contain dangerous chemicals, or ingredients other than those listed on the label. The FDA is aware of the confusion regarding CBD products and has made a statement on their website:

“The FDA has tested those products and, in some of them, did not detect any CBD. It is important to note that these products are not approved by FDA for the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of any disease, and often they do not even contain the ingredients found on the label. Consumers should beware purchasing and using any such products.”

With all the contradicting information available online, it is essential for consumers to do their research using trusted sources.

At Harmony, we are always happy to answer any questions and ensure that our valued clientele can purchase products that are right for their individual needs. Contact us if you wish to receive our certificate of analysis!

About Clara

Clara is a cannabis enthusiast evolving in the city of Barcelona, a vibrant hub for the European cannabis industry. She believes in free access to cannabinoids, and joined Harmony to spread word of CBD to the world.

Related Posts

31 thoughts on “Hemp Oil vs CBD Oil: The Need For Clarity

1. RSO Oil says:

Thanks for posting this awesome article. I’m a long time reader but I’ve never been compelled to leave a comment.

I subscribed to your blog and shared this on my Twitter.

Thanks again for a great article!

1. Clara says:

Thanks a lot Kelley 😀 It is great to hear! We will keep on spreading the cannabis education 🙂 Have a great day!

1. Ifeoluwa says:

Hi Clara, can you drop your twitter handle so I can follow your work to learn more

1. Alana says:

Check out @harmonyhemp on twitter or on instagram to follow our journey!

2. matija says:

Very informative. Was really confused when I was hearing different people discussing about hemp oil and CBD oil. This article really helps to bring some clarity over the matter. Really surprised that CBD oil does not contain any THC.
    Extremely glad that they made it possible to vape CBD via e-liquids.

1. Clara says:

We will keep on spreading the canna-education to who is willing to listen! Thank you, Matija for the support <3

3. Pawel says:

Hiya I wish to ask for your opinion im brand ambassador of kannaway Scotland is part of Medical Marihuana Inc. I have conversation with future customer she suffer for Bi solar disorder I recommend pure gold oil customer think is not strong enough because is on label hemp oil but have 1000mg CBD I wish to ask for yours opinions for this oil you can find it this product in link below

1. Alana says:

Hey Pawel, Our products contain CBD but it is important to understand that they are not medicine. They don’t treat or cure any disease, physical ailment or condition. That being said I cannot recommend one way or the other what would be best in this scenario. Good luck on your CBD journey, we wish you all the best!

4. Valerie Ross says:

Most CBD oils, salves or cream do contain a legal amount of thc. The CBD oil I’m taking does have 0.03mg of thc which is legal in all 50 states.

1. Alana says:

Hey Valerie, thanks for reading and taking the time to check out Harmony!

5. Bella Dushner says:

Hello Guys! Can somebody help me with this. My friend recommends me the CBD oil and Hemp oil for me to use because I’m having a hard time to breath everytime i do my household chores. She told me that it may help reduce symptoms related to cancer and side effects related to cancer treatment, like nausea, vomiting, and pain. And upon researching about it i read this https://www.worldwide-marijuana-seeds.com/blogs/marijuana-news/what-makes-cannabis-so-great that the cannabis can help us in many ways as well as in medical purpose. So is this safe for me to use because im pregnant now for 2 months?

1. Alana says:

Hey Bella! We recommend you speak with your doctor about consuming anything out of the normal while pregnant. Thanks for reading!

6. Mate says:

Thank you for the clarification ! I thought that u could vape cbd oil but I understand the difference between cbd oil & vape juice/eliquids now 🙂

7. Wow, i was eager to know about this topic. Thanks for the great explanation. Now i think i know enough about cbd oil and hemp oil.

1. Alana says:

Thanks for reading Gloria! Glad to hear this helped clear some things up <3

8. Jonathan says:

I like the idea of using a CBD e-liquid as a painkiller. Was reading this and it mentioned that is can be a good replacement for an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen
    https://www.seedsupreme.com/blog/five-things-cbd-improve/, would a straight up CBD e-liquid do the job or would I need to find a cannabis oil one for the full entourage effect?

1. Alana says:

Hey Jonathan, thanks for reading! Harmony is a great way to discover and safely consume CBD but you should not think of it as a medicine. They don’t treat or cure any disease, physical ailment or condition. With our CBD e-liquids, you can enjoy a great taste and, at the same time, be sure about what you are vaporizing thanks to our high-quality control standards. We recommend speaking to a medical professional for more info on that!

9. matthew says:

hi – is a drink with hemp oil containting 0.4% CBD and less than 0.0015% THC in compliance from the CBD persective ?
    Matthew

1. Alana says:

Hey Matthew! Thanks for reaching out and asking. It depends on a lot of things, you would have to ask around to some CBD drink companies to find out more! Sorry I can’t be of more help, but good luck in your search 🙂

10. Marcus says:

Always searching the web for the difference between these 2 oils. Can’t thank you enough for such a nice article. I’m currently looking for some good CBD E-liquids. Hope it will help me with my chronic back pain 😉

1. magda says:

Hi Marcus, thank you for your message! Glad to hear we’ve given you some clarity on that topic. Please keep in mind our CBD e-liquids are not a medical product 🙂

11. Piet Holthuysen says:

Please can you tell me how many drops to take of Hemp CBD OIL a day ?

1. Magda says:

Hi Piet, we wrote this article as a general guide to give you clarity about the difference between each product. However, as we do not produce or sell Hemp CBD oil, we can’t give you a recommendation on how many drops to take personally. If you’d like any advice on CBD e-liquids, please feel free to ask 🙂

12. Scott says:

I’ve been wanting to know on how to understand the life cycle of a marijuana plant but I don’t know how to get started. I do research on my own, I also read lots of articles but this one caught my attention https://www.bonzaseeds.com/blog/life-cycle-marijuana-plant/ It has the content of all you about to know in planting and to understand the life cycle of marijuana plant.

1. Magda says:

Hey Scott, thanks for your message! Indeed it’s an interesting topic. Would you like to see Harmony write an article about the lifecycle of cannabis plants?

13. Natalie says:

The difference between these two has always stuck in my head though I have been taking CBD for around 2 years now. Reading this article I can understand that both are non-psychoactive and are indeed helpful. Anyways, I will always prefer to use CBD over anything.
    Also, I’ll make sure to test your E-liquid products this time 🙂

1. Athena CS says:

Thanks for the comment Natalie! We feel really passionate about education and we’re so glad we could help answer some of your questions with this article! If you think it might help others, share it with your friends! When you’re ready to try e-liquids, let us know if we can help you choose the perfect flavor! We have 11 (soon to be 12!) 🙂

14. By going through the article, first time i came to know that cannabis and cannabinoid are use for treatment as well. Thank you for educating through your blog.

1. Alana says:

Thanks so much for reading! Keep in mind our products are not meant to treat, cure or diagnose any illness or disease.

15. thanks so much share nice post. CBD oil is used to health problem issue solve it. for example mind stress problem

1. Susie says:

Hey Johan! Thanks for your comment. Our products contain CBD and it is important to understand that they are not medicine. They don’t treat, diagnose or cure any disease, physical ailment or condition. With our CBD products, you can enjoy a great taste and, at the same time, be sure about what you are consuming thanks to our high-quality control standards. Feel free to email us if you have any further questions!